Thursday, July 19, 2012

2012 Emmy Nominations and Predictions

Now, unlike the years past, I'm no longer what you call 'in the loop' for most of primetime television. I do, in fact find this embarrassing. Nevertheless, I know how this game goes so I offer some predictions and commentary on what I do know. 


Key:
Should Win
Will Win




Best Comedy Series
"The Big Bang Theory"
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
"Girls"
"Modern Family"
"30 Rock"
"Veep"

 I am out of the loop on both of these equally, but I know what the people say and I know what critics say. Big Bang has been on a roll, but I highly doubt it will be able to defeat the beloved Modern Family. For the past two years the show has dominated, and I expect it will again.


Best Actress in a Comedy Series
Zooey Deschanel, "New Girl"
Lena Dunham, "Girls"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep"
Melissa McCarthy, "Mike and Molly"
Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation" 

 A bold predictions, as I literally have no zero ground to stand on here. But I, and many others adore Amy, so she is my shot in the dark for this one.

Best Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
Don Cheadle, "House of Lies"
Louis C.K., "Louie"
Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men"
Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"

 Critics are also a big fan of Louie and I really hope he comes out on top. His pseudo-biographical show shows a very intimate part of himself and I truly hope he has to get up and make a speech. I say has to, because, of course, he won't want to be bothered by it.


Best Drama Series
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"Homeland"
"Mad Men"

I'm way behind on Bad, but I know what kind of punch it packs. Abbey, however, has been a critical as well as a rating Juggernaut. It won't surprise me at all to see it out on top. Nor would Mad Men, or Boardwalk

Best Actress in a Drama Series
Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law"
Glenn Close, "Damages"

Claire Danes, "Homeland"
Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"

Bates, to me, is constantly overlooked when it comes to award season. Everyone knows of her talent, but rarely is she congratulated for it. I hope she is this year.

Best Actor in a Drama Series
Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey"
Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Damian Lewis, "Homeland"

 Now this is interesting. This last season of Dexter was not my favorite, and I know many people complain about actors winning awards for 'a season after they deserved it'. I call bullshit. When it comes to television history, nobody cares about individual seasons when it comes to the portrayal of a character. Unlikes film and theatre, television characters live much longer and actors work on their development for years, sometimes decades (ex: Fraiser Crane). They have to deal with different showrunners, directors, and writers while still making their own mark on the character. Michael C. Hall is long over due, and Cranston, brilliant as he is has been awarded several times over. Ultimately, I think he'll pull it off, just as he will next year for this final season.

Best Miniseries or Movie
"American Horror Story"
"Game Change"
"Hatfields and McCoys"
"Hemingway and Gellhorn"
"Luther"
"Sherlock"

It will be a tragedy for Hatfields and McCoys to lose. As History's first real mini-series, the show was a homerun. The entire cast was brilliant and the writing was both phenomenally entertaining as well as educational. I will be enraged if it doesn't bring home some gold.

Best Actress Miniseries or Movie
Connie Britton, "American Horror Story"
Ashey Judd, "Missing"
Nicole Kidman, "Hemingway and Gellhorn"
Julianne Moore, "Game Change"
Emma Thompson, "The Song of Lunch"

Didn't see any of them...but I love Julianne. That's all I've got on this one.
 
Best Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Kevin Costner, "Hatfields and McCoys"
Beneditch Cumberbach, "Sherlock"
Idris Elba, "Luther"
Woody Harrelson, "Game Change"
Clive Owen, "Hemingway and Gellhorn"
Bill Paxton, "Hatfields and McCoys" 

 And just like that, Costner proved to everyone he's still got it. He was incredible. Incredible. From an acting standpoint, his performance will stick in my mind. I'd be equally fine with Paxton winning, but ultimately I think that Costner should get it, and will get it, for comeback purposes. 

Outstanding Host: Reality-Competition Program
Tom Bergeron, "Dancing With the Stars"
Cat Deeley, "So You Think You Can Dance"
Phil Keoghan, "The Amazing Race"
Ryan Seacrest, "American Idol"
Betty White, "Betty White's Off Their Rockers" 

Let's be real. She's still working, and still awesome, for her age.

Reality-Competition Program
"The Amazing Race"'
"Dancing swith the Stars"
"Project Runway"
"So You Think You Can Dance"
"Top Chef"
"The Voice"

 
Variety Series
"The Colbert Report"
"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
"Jimmy Kimmel Live! "
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon"
"Real Time WIth Bill Maher"
"Saturday Night Live"


To be honest, I really don't care about either of these categories. Haven't watched reality TV in ages and all of the Variety shows don't deserve to win. SNL needs a comeback desperately, Colbert and Daily Show are the same as they always have been and we're tired of Stewart winning. Fallon is lackluster and Maher is, well, Maher.  I'm hoping for Kimmel who is at least original.


That's what I got for ya.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment